bible study, scripture search, bible scholar, heaven dew, bible school

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

He Rewards the Faithful

TEXT: 2 TIMOTHY 1: 8-18
Key verse: “The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me” (2 Timothy 1:16,17).

Writing from Rome as he approached execution at the hands of Nero, Apostle Paul is inspired by the Holy Spirit to dwell on the indispensability of steadfast endurance during the believer’s race to heaven. The epistle is addressed to young Timothy, the beloved apostle’s trusted co-laborer in the Lord’s vineyard. He expects Timothy to impart the teachings in this second epistle to the brethren in the Church at Ephesus, where Timothy has been ordained a Bishop.
    The topic of a consistent righteous living comes in handy for Paul who himself has had abundant grace from the Lord to endure the afflictions that have been his lot since he was saved. The prospect of death around the corner does not send him into a state of panic. He cheerfully declares: “For I am now ready to be offered (executed) and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:6-8).
    Paul encourages Timothy and the Ephesian believers as well as all believers in Jesus Christ to follow  his footsteps by refusing to be lured by the gilded attractions of the world, which made some old companions (including Demas) to turn away from the faith.
    Onesiphorus did not turn away from Christ. He was not scared or discouraged by Paul’s predicament. He earnestly looked for the apostle in Rome and refreshed him, with a grateful Paul offering this prayer: “The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus. The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day” (2 Timothy 1:16,18). May God reward your faithfulness as He did for Onesiphorus.

Thought for the day: The Lord rewards acts of mercy to the saints and the needy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts